Terrorism in Kerry: Young men ill treated

Scenes of terrorism were witnessed in Lixnaw on the arrival of uniformed men who attempted to burn the Co-operative creamery.

Before entering the village the men who had their faces blackened and who came in a motor lorry from Ballybunion direction, pulled up at the house of a farmer, Patrick McElligott, who lived half a mile from Lixnaw.

When the door was opened, in answer to a loud rapping,inquiries were made if the house were McElligotts. His two sons were pulled outside the door in their night attire, and in a downpour of rain they were beaten with the butt end of rifles and kicked. Before leaving, the raiders made them stand for some time in a pool of water almost up to their waists.

The lorry then proceeded to the house of a young man, Stephen Grady, and broke a window. Grady escaped in his night attire through a back window and searchlights were turned upon him but he made good his escape through the fields.

His assistant, named Nolan, was knocked unconscious on the floor with the blow of a rifle butt, and subsequently brought outside the door, almost nude, and a tub of water was poured over him.

The party then broke into the room where Miss Grady and her mother were sleeping, and pulled Miss Grady out on the road put her on her knees in a channel of water, and cut her hair.


By this time the people of the village were awakened and the raiders were seen taking tins from the lorry and proceeding towards the co-operative creamery. Three or four were left on guard at the lorry, while other were posted along the way.

The outer door was broken but the raiders could not get through the second door. The door of the diary was then wrenched open from the hinges, and the premises were set on fire.

Cheese, butter and all the utensils were destroyed as well as a portion of the premises.

On their return from the creamery the raiders entered the house of Maurice Lovett and knocked his son on the floor with the blow of a rifle, and went next door and cut his sister’s hair. Before leaving they discharged four or five shots.

The people gathered to the scene of the fire, and succeeded in extinguishing the flames before very much damage was done. The Creamery, which was insured against riot to the extent of £25,000 is still working.


On Monday the manager and a number of employees of Abbeydorney Co-operative Creamery, which has been partly burned, came to Tralee, and made affidavits as to what took place.

The manager stated that on October 12 at about 6 O’Clock, three lorries of armed men, some wearing khaki, and the majority in RIC uniforms, entered the creamery and ordered everyone out, including the manager.

While leaving shots were fired over their heads from a distance.

They saw three lorries being loaded with butter and cheese. Subsequently tins, presumably containing petrol, were taken from the lorries to the premises, evidence of which was seen in the building afterwards, and when the manager arrived at his residence, two minutes walk from the creameries, he observed the place in flames.

The lorries then drove away, and the fire was extinguished, when damage to the extent of £2,000 was done. Before the lorries left the manager was sent for, and when he arrived the key of the safe was asked for.

Owing to the battering which the safe had received the key did not open the lock, but he assured the raiders there was nothing ion the safe only books.

When going away received the blow of the butt of a rifle in the back of the head, and his assailant was swinging the rifle to strike him again when he was warded off by an RIC man.

Independent.ie – News